Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Hill Tribes of Northern Thailand

We’re now in the hill tribes of northern Thailand; in a small village where Jesus doesn’t get talked about and they worship Buddha. It’s very hard living here, although we’re seeing small break-throughs with the children and some adults. We are all living in homes with the local people. Riki, Emily and I are living in the home of a Thai woman named, Aree; she barely speaks English. Her proper name is Pi Lee (Mrs. Lee). She worships in a Buddhist temple. It is very depressing to observe. She is so sweet and loves hanging out with us girls. She is such a mom too--it’s awesome! She braids my hair every morning and cooks breakfast and lunch for us. Although I hate the food, she puts so much care into everything she does for us. Today, we taught English in an elementary school. They love us!

Pray for me. I am far from my comfort zone! We live in shacks. It is very poor. It can be overwhelming. We have lizards and ants everywhere in the house! The showers are freezing and we use a bucket for the shower and a squatty-potty instead of a toilet.

I appreciate everything back home, even a mirror and lights and being able to read road signs! Some days are harder than others are, especially when I have to eat nasty things or find out my bags are infested with bugs!

We only have a few more days left in the village of Chiang Mai. Be praying for a spiritual break through. We taught the kids Jesus Loves Me last night and This Little Light of Mine. I almost cried watching them, especially afterwards when they were still singing it, because they don’t know Jesus very well. But, I can see him beginning to work in them. It gives me so much hope! Be praying that Jesus would give us words of truth to speak to them and that we would obey what he tells us to do! :)

Next week we’re going elephant riding on our day off!

Love to all,
Dana

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dana! I am a friend of your Mom and SSTN contributor. Love reading your blog. I kept one last year when I went to El Salvador for 2 weeks. Many of the things you describe I felt. It truly changes your life forever. I am going again in March. Meanwhile, I will live and prepare through you!
    Blessings and Prayers from Indiana

    ReplyDelete